Re: Mystery Springs on Transmission

To: SCB963 <SCB963@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mystery Springs on Transmission
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 01:45:45 GMT
Scott writes...

>Would someone mind checking their copy of Bentley to see what it says about
>the mystery springs?  Any other ideas of whether the springs are supposed to
>be there and what they might be there to do?

The later Spit trannys have these springs but I don't know about the
earlier models or the GT6's.

The three "mystery" springs are inserted into holes in the front
tranny case just prior to installing the bellhousing.  They get
sandwiched in such a way as to apply pressure to the laygear
thrustwasher, removing any freeplay.

It's apparantly pretty common for them to be missing.  Bobby Sykes
warned me about them a year or so back.  Sure enough mine were gone
and I ordered replacements during the rebuild. <thanks Bobby!>

If your tranny is still apart, look at the front of the main gearcase.
If you see three uh...maybe 1/4" holes drilled around the layshaft
then chances are good your transmission was designed to have them.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits