Re: Triumphs only

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>, "Bob" <rlmcneit@cpis.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Triumphs only
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 98 10:11:24 -0800
I tried to stay out of this one but...

Triumph Specialty and Triumphs Only are not in any way related except for
being small independent SF bay area companys specializing in used Triumph
parts.  The people involved are completely different.

Triumphs only is a small wrecking yard with a wearhouse of parts.  They
run a small repair/tuneup shop.  They purchase new parts from Moss and
other companys.

>From my personal experience, I have found the owner is in business to
make a profit.  Pure and simple.  He tries to provide the correct used
part but doesn't seem too interested in condition of the part.  A
proablem is that similar parts often get thrown in the same bin or placed
on the same shelf, so the wrong one gets shipped.  Remember, these parts
often look alike; there are no part numbers painted on them, and they are
often pulled by someone who was working on Buicks in his last job.

I believe these to be honest mistakes made by a person who is a Triumph
enthusiast and a somewhat sloppy businessman who can not be everywhere
checking for employee mistakes all the time.

But like any of us, he would like to be able to afford to buy things too.
 I have found that he will ask the highest price that he thinks he can
get for a part.  If you just ask for a price, he will quote you a high
one.  If you say that you are shopping around and so far your best price
on part #XXX is $yy, chances are he will quote a lower price.  He prefers
less profit to no profit unless he thinks the next caller may want the
same part.

But you need to firmly specify a new part if that is what you want.

Personally, I would suggest dealing with him via FAX if you can not do it
in person.  It is easier for him to hand the FAX to the person pulling
parts then describe what you want.

That said, I have purchased parts from Triumphs only at the counter for
many years.  I will continue to do so.  But I see what I purchase before
I hand the money over and I am prepaired to walk out if the price tells
me he wants the part more than I do.  I have found some really hard to
find parts there and have gotten good prices on both new and used parts.
I have also walked away from parts I really wanted because I did not
think them worth the price.

>> Thank you to everyone that responded to my "upset" posting.  I actually
>> felt slightly releived after reading a few responses.  I still don't
>> know whether I should just chalk this up as a lesson learned, or return
>> the mainshaft......in which case I'll wind up having to order another
>> one from TRF.  Either way, I'll never again order anything from
>> "Triumphs only" regardless how cheap or rare the part.
>
>I have been watching this thread with great interest. Years ago, there was
>a parts supplier called Triumph Specialty located in San Jose. Several
>members of our club had trouble with them, and we made a recommendation
>within our club not to use them. Triumph Specialty eventually disappeared.
>I have often wondered whether Triumphs Only was connected with the old
>Triumph Specialty. Some of their business ethics are very similar.
>
>You paid for a new mainshaft, and got a used one. Send it back and order
>what you wanted from someone who will send you what you ordered. If they
>did it to you, they will do it to others, and they will continue for as
>long as they can get away with it.
>
>Irv Korey
>74 TR6 CF22767U
>66 TR4A CT52499
>Highland Park, IL

TeriAnn Wakeman             I subscribe to several high volume mail
Santa Cruz, California      Lists and do not read every posting.
twakeman@cruzers.com        If you send me direct mail, please start
                            subject with TW-  so I will know to read it.

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937