Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine

To: livo@saglac.qc.ca
Subject: Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:59:57 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
livo@saglac.qc.ca wrote:

> Adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
> Questions:
> 1. How do I know if I need to do it?

Ih you have had the car any length of time, you likely need it.  Even if
you find that the valves are in proper adjustment, the piece of mind is
worth the trouble.

> 2. Is there a gasket between the engine and the cover over the
> tappets?

Yes!

> 3. If yes, what is it made of?

It is typically made of Cork.  But If we can prod Justin Wagner a bit,
we'll be able to get a better material (hint, hint, Justin).

> 4. Can I put the gasket back, or do I need to have  a new one
> before taking the cover off?

If the gasket is not broken and hardened, it can often be re-used, but
it won't hurt to have a new one handy just in case.  If whoever
installed it put gasket sealer on both surfaces, it will likely tear up
when you remove it.

Regards,
Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing