Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine

To: livo@saglac.qc.ca
Subject: Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:47:08 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 livo@saglac.qc.ca wrote:

> Adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
> Questions:
> 1. How do I know if I need to do it?

If it's not been done for some time, "just do it." I suppose
noises could be some indication of need, but that's a somewhat "inexact
science." It's not a bad idea to do this regularly, along with the rest of
a regular tuneup.

> 2. Is there a gasket between the engine and the cover over the
> tappets?
>
> 3. If yes, what is it made of?

Yes, and it is usually a cork gasket.

> 4. Can I put the gasket back, or do I need to have a new one
> before taking the cover off?

It is best to have one ready. If there is little or no leakage now, and if
the gasket and valve cover come off without damaging the gasket, then you
might be able to reuse if necessary.

> I look forward to comments and advice.
> John Vincent

--Andy