Re: Spitfire Engine Swap Outs

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bill Wessale" <wessale@iwl.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Engine Swap Outs
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 9:50 -0800
Bill Wessale wrote:
I have a 1968 Mark III and would like to swap out the engine,
transmission, and rear suspension.
Does anyone know of popular swap outs?
I found the information on "The Beast" with the 350 V8, and even though
I think that's really neat, I was looking for something a little
more tame, like a small V6 or perhaps a Miata 4.
     I hope this isn't considered sacriledge.  I just think the drivetrain
     is the weak link in the Spitfire.  I like the looks, the weight, the
     size and the front suspension.  If I can stick in a 120 HP lightweight
     hig-revving motor with a 5-speed, and ditch the swing-axle rear end, I
     think it would be a blast!
     ===========================
     Bill,

     Sacriledge?  Hmmm, well maybe, but hey, it's your car so enjoy it.
     May I recommend that you not trash the drivetrain at least and save it
     for other Spit enthusiasts?

     More to your question, Barry Schwartz stuffed a Ford V-6 into his
     Spitfire, a 5 speed from (I think) a Ford Mustang, and the rear end is
     a stock Spitfire unit with a Quaife diff. (I think).  Anyways, he says
     it goes like stink and looks original until you open the bonnet.  The
     Mazda 13B is a good alternative, and Grassroots Motorsports made that
     exact swap a few months back - try to get copies of the articles
     detailing the work involved.  Caveat - I understand the rotary engine
     requires a LOT of fabricating to make fit, but the Ford V-6 is easier.

     The Miata 4 banger may work and fit okay, and if that is the route you
     want to take, you might also consider the Toyota 20R (?) motor from
     the Celica or the one from the MR-2/Corolla GT - I hear it is a pretty
     sweet unit with good power to weight and lots of performance parts
     available.  Also, Honda makes some very compact and light units that
     are extremely easy to upgrade in terms of horsepower.

     Finally, for the truly loony, you can copy the "Beast" (I,too, saw it
     on the internet - don't even get me started on THAT one) or try
     stuffing in the Buick/Rover 215 CID aluminum V8.  I almost did that
     myself as a friend of mine has a spare alum. V8 block, but I decided
     against it - just too much damn work.

     Ross D. Vincenti
     64 Spitfire 4
     64 Porsche 356C Coupe