Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine

To: livo@saglac.qc.ca
Subject: Re: adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:46:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John writes:
>Adjusting tappets on a Triumph Herald 1149 engine
>Questions:
>1. How do I know if I need to do it?
***********************************
You need to measure the clearance, and see if it matches the
specifications, although a loud clicking from the valve cover may be a good
indication.  The only real way though is to measure.
***********************************
>2. Is there a gasket between the engine and the cover over the
>tappets?
**********************************
Yes
**********************************
>3. If yes, what is it made of?
*********************************
Usually cork, or rubberized cork
>4. Can I put the gasket back, or do I need to have  a new one
>before taking the cover off?
You really should use a new one, but sometimes using Silicon sealer on the
old gasket, if it is undamaged will work, but you didn't here it from me :-)

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)