Re: rusty gas tank

To: lew <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: rusty gas tank
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:33:06 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, lew wrote:

> Any ideas out there on how to get all the rust out of the inside of my 63
> spit gas tank? The tank isn't to bad but the bottom of the tank does have
> some scale rust on it. I put one of the clear glass filters on the fuel line
> (just prior to the fuel pump) so i could watch for rust flakes in it. I keep
> cleaning it out but it makes me nervous watching that filter get all that
> rusty scale in it. I would like to clean out the tank if i could. I have the
> tank out of the car and the sending unit off of it. Is there a product out
> there that would take care of this?

Moss Motors sells a slushing agent; a 3-step deal where you pour assorted
potions into your tank, which progressivly remove rust, clean tank, and
seal tank-  I've never tried it but it's supposed to work.

Get more info from their flyers/catalogs :-)

Myself I removed the tank and put a bag o' marbles inside and shook the
rust out of it.  Then when I redid the fuel line I stuck it in about an
inch past the olive(compression) fitting.  This puts the pickup 3/4" above
the fitting.

It still got clogged up but just will small stuff.  I have a glass bowl
filter and a small particle filter.

-Malcolm