Re: suspension paint?

To: Bob Otten <ottenr@clark.net>
Subject: Re: suspension paint?
From: "Don J. Howard" <dhoward@jht.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:57:14 -0400
Cc: F Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I know I am going to be flamed, but FWIW, I am a mildly dissatisfied POR
15 user.  I used it on a kit car and my 65 Mustang,  It really didn't
stick too well, and I am not sure that I did not have rust continue
underneath it the second try on the floor of the kit car, because the
first try failed.  I purchased a new custom chassis for a Speedster
replica, it was finished with "Black Paint".  Since the car was not
always inside with the top up, rust soon developed on the floors,  I
stripped the interior and painted Por 15 on the rust, after a year the
rust was back,  I repeated the operation, but this time I top coated the
POR 15 with enamel while it was still tacky, sold the car before rust
returned.  What i have learned to do is get rid of the rust, epoxy prime
and paint.  Oxysolv and an acid brush will get rid of more rust than you
will believe, Ditzler DP primer is made to be sprayed, but I have
successfully brushed it on, likewise for DAR epoxy enamel.  This stuff
is not cheap, 4 years I accidently got a drop on the Chromed surface of
an "unprepared" Craftsman wrench sitting on my work bench, when I
noticed it the paint had cured, it is still on the wrench, I have been
unable to scrape it off with my fingernail.  The POR 15 I painted around
the convertible top well of my Stang can be easily removed with my
fingernail, and this was applied to "prepared" surfaces.  Living in
subtropical Florida you learn to deal with rust.  As far as the inside
of your frame Ospho is a rust killer that requires no further
operations, once you manage to get it through any available opening.
As far as the powdery rust situation spray it with OXYSOLV wipe down
with thinner and paint with a rattle can, this is an easy operation you
can perform every few years if necessary, and you will never have
invisible rust working under your protective coating.

Cheers, Don J. Howard just my 2 pence.