Re: Oil pressure of a Spitfire 15000 engine

To: Becarjm@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil pressure of a Spitfire 15000 engine
From: Irwin Armstrong <armstrong@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 19:05:16 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I had the same problem once on a GM 3 litre - I had the engine rebuilt
but the oil pressure was lousy - after a lot of shouting at the company
did the work, who of course said the engine had been wrongly fitted
etc.,  and a new set of cam bushes. I discovered the real problem. A
gasket had been fitted on the the oil pump cover, where there should not
have been one, meaning that the interference fit betwwen the gears and
the side of the pump were way outside limits and at low revs in
particular there was almost no oil pressure as the gears circulated and
did nothing. Once the gasket had been removed and replaced with instant
gasket the problem immediately disappeared. Just a thought for you.