Re: diff seals

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: diff seals
From: "Andy Searle" <aksearle@dra.hmg.gb>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:48:15 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <aksearle@taz.dra.hmg.gb>
>From a thread from Wednesday about TR IRS diff oil seals.

These can be removed without a hydralic press cos I've just done it -  last
weekend. I removed the shaft/oil seal carrier/bearing/driveshaft flange
complete
from the diff and undid the nyloc nut until it was flush with the end of the
shaft. I then bolted (with some decent high tensile bolts) an old gearbox
output
flange (the flange is thicker although a diff pinion flange would do) to the
diff
flange back to back with just enough spacers and washers over the nut/shaft
to keep the flange about 1/4" apart. By doing up the nuts and bolts evenly the
spacers/washers push the tapered shaft from the diff flange. One popped out
with hardly any thightening of the bolts - but one required the flange to be
heated a bit with a welding torch.

 With the flange removed the oil seal carrier can be slid off and the bearing
tapped off with a tube on the inner race. Hope this is clear!!

Andy Searle