re: diff seals

To: tad <trnelson@umich.edu>
Subject: re: diff seals
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 06:48:51 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Netumich.edu>
Tad writes:
>sorry to be the late comer, but i'm just about ready to replace the seals
>on my differential as well...  you can't separate the thing without a
>hydolic press?
************************************
Tad,
It depends on which differential we are talking about.  If its a
Spit/GT6/Hearld type then no, a press is not (usually) required.  Simply by
removing the wire circlip that holds the bearing on (not an easy task by
itself :-}) and pushing the bearing out (tapping with a hammer if you are
replacing the bearing, a good idea anyway since you have it out) will work.
 NEVER hammer the bearing back on though, always press on the race that
contacts the surface that is the interference fit.  If on the other hand we
are talking about the TR4A, TR6 diff. then a press is more than likely,
although the one I did only required the small press that I have, to
separate the flange from the tapered shaft.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)