Re: GT6: Black Powder Valve Cover Dealer?

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: GT6: Black Powder Valve Cover Dealer?
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:29:42 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin;

I think I started that thread when I tried to find a powder coated black valve
cover for my 1970 GT6+. I found one in the TRF catalog and according to the
listing it fit a TR6 or a GT6 MKII or III. I ordered it. When it arrived the
carton containing the valve cover had a sticker that read "Not for GT6+". I
figured it was because the casting sat about 3/8" higher than the pressed
steel cover. I installed it on the GT6+ and put a piece of clay on the top of
the valve cover and gently closed the bonnet. The clay wasn't even touched. I
also surmised that since the valve cover was supplied with three chrome nuts
that "tecnically" it wouldn't fit the GT6+ because that application requires
two nuts and a bolt. From what I can tell it fits, but I haven't turned over
the engine, yet. I doubt if there are any differences in the valve train that
would cause interference but I'm open to the combined wisdom of the list.
Also, the chrome oil filler cap that came with the cover had flaking chrome. I
have returned the cap and received a replacement. The cover is completely
black so I sanded the ribs to expose the aluminum.

The last time we discussed this issue the Triumph Tune version was found to be
a poor casting with wavy surfaces, etc. The cover I received which was made in
the UK was very high quality in casting and finish (except for the oil cap)

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan