Rust elimination

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rust elimination
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:29:39 EST
Hi, listers;

In the process of restoring my GT6+ I have found some rust under the
undercoating on the front suspension sub frames. During the process of
eliminating the rust and painting the I got into a discussion with my
significant other's brother about rust. He has done extensive autobody repair
as a hobbyist and professional and claims that you can't eliminate rust.....it
will always come back. His treatment of rusty surfaces involves sandblasting,
metal prep, bondo, etching primer and paint.

I take the opposite view in that if you can seal the metal against oxygen and
moisture the (baring any penetration by impact or scratching) the suraface
should remain rust free. I usually sandblast or wire brush vigorously, treat
the surface with two or three coats of rust eater, prime, bondo, rust eater to
seal the edges and then prime, and top coat. If it is possible I undercoat the
inside of the panel and if possible fill the cavity with structural foam to
prevent rust from the inside of the panel. I restored a 1973 Honda Civic with
this method and rust seized to be a problem. It also sounded like a Mercedes
when the doors were slammed. Obviously, I wouldn't do the foam thing on an LBC
but I have a 1985 Chev Celebrity wagon that is a prime candidate for this
treatment.

My question to the list is......what are your opinions in this debate? Is rust
unstoppable once it starts? Or can it be controlled?

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan