Re: Por 15 and polishing Aluminum

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Por 15 and polishing Aluminum
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 21:20:50 -0500
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Alan Camhi wrote:
>
> > 2.  What inexpensive method/polishing compound can I use to bring out the
>shine in these dampers and also my intake manifold(aluminum).  I want them to
>stand out.
>
> Try high-grit (600 or up) wet-dry sandpaper.  Use some water or oil on it
> to stop it from clogging up.
>
> Test in an inconspicuous spot first in case it does something surprising.
>
> Polishing with sandpaper might leave a raw metal surface that could
> tarnish quickly-- you might want to put some sort of substance on the
> polished metal to retain the shininess. (ugh- THAT'S bad grammar)
>
> Offhand I can't think of what that would be :-)
>
> -Malcolm

Others have suggested buffing these surfaces,with available aluminum
compounds, if you have a bench engine, etc.

By the way, POR-15 absolutely can be applied over rust.  That's the
whole point. It absorbs a minute amount of moisture as it dries. Just
make sure the surface is grease-fre and dry, and the manufacturer says
that 2 coats are mandatory, for some reason.

FWIW, I don't use POR much anymore.  Just too hard to work with.  I've
switched over to Corroless, not that anyone should care ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6