Re: Welding Question

To: "Burnett VE (Vern) at MSXSOPC" <VB157234@shellus.com>
Subject: Re: Welding Question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 06:31:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vern writes:
>In the process of doing a head job on my TR4, I found a long crack on the
>exhaust manifold. It does not appear to have been leaking yet. It is 3/4's
>around the number 4 port. Can this be welded with any success? Many thanks!
************************************
Vern,
It's been my experience that once an exhaust manifold, especially a cast
iron one cracks, nothing will fix it.  Even when welded correctly (with the
correct rod for cast material), the stresses that caused the cracking in
the first place will cause the welded area to crack again (a lot of times
this is why they will not fix certain cracks in cylinder heads).  Others
may have had different results, but on all the ones I have tried, they
eventually cracked right in the middle of the welded area.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)