Re: 4and 4A seat frames

To: ArthurK101@aol.com, fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, brit4a@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: 4and 4A seat frames
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:50:12 EST
In a message dated 98-02-09 16:34:56 EST, I wrote:

> I believe that the seat frames are different between the later TR4 and
TR4A's.
>  I will check tonight to see if I am correct and what the differences are.
>  Report tomorrow.  Sorry all.  Cheers.

Have done some checking.  The answer to your original question is:  The seat
frames are the same for the later TR4 and TR4A models.  However, the padding
and the covering material and configuration of the seat covering changed for
the TR4A.  So if you just look at the seats they appear different.

In addition, as is the case many times, there is a bit of a problem with
exactly when the seats became what are called "later TR4" seats.  TR4's prior
to body # 15077CT were the same as later model TR3 seats.  At TR4 body #
15077CT there was a substantial change in the frame configuration.

Then in 1963, at either CT 20877 or CT 20925, the seat frames were again
changed.  The '63 frame change meant that both seats now tipped forward.  (The
pivot point was the lower front of the seat so that the entire seat and not
just the back portion tipped - as was the case with the seats before body#
15077CT).

The seat frames then appear to have remained basically the same all the way
through  the TR6's.  There were some other hardware changes (e.g. a reclining
mechanism and safety locks to prevent forward tipping when braking) made over
the production run of the TR5/250 and TR6's.  And the seat rails and control
levers also changed, as did the padding and covering.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (a "later TR4" )
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant