Re: Welding Question

To: "Burnett VE (Vern) at MSXSOPC" <VB157234@shellus.com>
Subject: Re: Welding Question
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:37:41 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Burnett VE (Vern) at MSXSOPC wrote:

> In the process of doing a head job on my TR4, I found a long crack on the
> exhaust manifold. It does not appear to have been leaking yet. It is 3/4's
> around the number 4 port. Can this be welded with any success? Many thanks!

Vern--I tried sending this directly to AOL and it bounced. I suggest the
following mostly as an option in the event you don't have any luck
finding another manifold, which you may have in the meantime:

Since you might have difficulty finding a ready replacement, it probably
can be welded by a good shop--I have seen good work done on cast parts
such as blocks--but only by people who knew what they were doing. Talk
to a local welding shop, or an automotive machine shop you trust and ask
if there are folks in your area who are good at that sort of thing. The
cracked area has to be beadblasted thoroughly to get it really clean,
and there is a series of arc welding rods made by Eutectic which are
designed to repair cast iron. If the shop is good, they will finish the
job by grinding down the welded area and then beadblasting again. If the
welding is done properly, all you will able to tell the repaired area by
is a different coloration....

Cheers.
--
My other Triumph runs, but....