Re: Engine Swaps - What about stopping?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Swaps - What about stopping?
From: hobrien@webos1.com (Will O'Brien)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:11:03 -0600
I cut theprevious comments to save the bandwidth...

For my Spit conversion to a V8 I considered mating the spit rear diff with
the ford V8 and Tranny.  It was an attractive Idea thanks to the low cost.
However, after consideration I decided to put a different rear end in as
well as the V8.  Why?  Because someday I'm going to show off or get annoyed
by the guy driving the mustang with the 12" Hood scoop and the 2" exhaust.
At that point, I'll proceed to slam the pedal to the floor and destroy the
gears in the rear end.  I don't plan to abuse my car, but I like to know
that if I need to I can pull my Dad's explorer around with little effort.
With the added horse power the frame could easily be damaged.  Since I'm
going to have to go in and beef it all up, I figured I'd do it right.
The ideal choice for little modification to the frame would be a Corvette
or Jaguar rear end.  They have to be modified to fit the wheel base though.
I'm using a Dayna 60 Solid Axel Rear end.  It requires modifications to
the frame, but alot less work on the piece itself.  It's wheelbase is 51"
while the spit is 50".  On the spit1500 anyway.  It has 12/13" drum brakes
on it.  I may convert those to disk brakes as well.  For the front I'm
going to put in larger disk brakes.  Probably 10 3/4" ford disks.  These
can all withstand heavy braking and will also cool much better since they
have the air chambers in them.  I may end up ripping the front end out of a
Mustang II and simply using it.

Hope this provides some insight.

Will

Will O'Brien