spitfires at le mans

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spitfires at le mans
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:01:39 -0700
I watched the speedvision program about the Triumph Marque last night
and have some questions...

1. The segment on spitfires showed works race cars which had a
"hatchback" like appearance. I think the announcer (David Hobbs) called
them coupes. These were definitely not hard tops fitted to the
convertibles but rather real full time hardtops (ala gt6). I have never
seen a spitfire like this in the flesh. Are these common or were they
just the works race cars?

2. The final snip of the show showed a couple of glimpses of the tr5
(with minilite wheels) and mentioned that the tr5 was the first british
car to use fuel injection. It then just ended quite abruptly. Sure
looked like there was more factory archival footage. Has anyone seen any
of the newer BL triumph footage? Unlike the MG version of the program
which is a 2 parter, the triumph version is only 1 part. And that part
seems to exclude their most successful (in terms of sales anyway) tr
series cars, the tr6s (oh yeah I am definitely biased).

BTW, the tr2, 3 and 4 were very successful in the alpine rallies,
winning their class each year they entered. And the trs and spits were
also very successful at le mans with consistent finishes each year (the
trs anyway). I thought it was a pretty good program but wish there was
more to it for the later cars...

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada