throttle shafts, miles per gallon on 2.5TC

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: throttle shafts, miles per gallon on 2.5TC
From: cavies@xtra.co.nz
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:13:58 +1200
I have recently rebuilt my twin HS-6 Su's and was going to get them
drilled out and put in teflon bushes and perhaps oversized shafts

BUT

Was suprised when I managed to get genuine Su carb replacement bushes
and the right size shafts (which made things real easy) off of a new
Zealand distributor.  The bushes were split bushes that could be
squeezed up and just pushed in....no alignments needed or anything.

I would thoroughly reccommend getting all of the original bits.
Probably works out about the same price in the end and keeps everything
original, and is probably easier.
I got the carb rebuild kits however from a local shop, that was the
jets, gaskets etc

Watch which carb rebuild kit you get, there are many different kinds.
Make sure you get the right size and whether emmission control or not.
Mine were HS - 6 emmission control and took SU754 kits

For anyone in New Zealand, the supplier was:

Swift Automotive
31 Carmen Road
Christchurch
New Zealand

03 349 7446 phone
03 349 5990 fax

don;t know if they are on email

The bits I got were

needles $27 each            $54 NZ
Bushes $9 each              $36 NZ
springs $9 each             $18 NZ
throttle shafts $31 each    $62 NZ

two carb rebuild kits       $80 NZ

Total cost $250 New Zealand for both carbs.

ALSO - Does anyone know what sort of mileage I should get out of my
2.5TC on a run around the country..  I have one of the 3 speed auto ones
(would kill to get 4 speed and overdrive) and am running on 14 x 5
wheels (made huge difference to handling) with 185 / 70 tyres.  I now
get around 28 miles per gallon , does this sound reasonable.

Replies much appreciated ( is there anyone out there with a TC or PI ??)

>From ken Williams, New Zealand.

PS Sorry to everyone for the 3 copies of one article that got there, I
don;t know how that happened!