Re: Fwd: local phone Co. info NO LBC CONTENT BUT VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE

To: "SUCHAK" <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: local phone Co. info NO LBC CONTENT BUT VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!
From: "Andy" <amdixon@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:27:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "Malcolm Walker" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, "TR6driver" <TR6driver@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
A few years ago, before the internet was popular and us old geeks logged in
to bulletin boards. Ma bell used to snoop electronically.  They just
electronically checked for a modem carrier tone so I guess technically they
weren't eavesdropping.  Several modem users who were "caught" had their
phones changed from residential to business service and were presented
with huge bills.  That was until us old geeks started complaining and
making it public. Bell backed off.  The internet provided Ma Bell with a
whole new opportunity to get richer quicker. WOW!! with all these people
using the internet for hour on end.... What about a per minute surcharge....
eye pupils turn to dollar signs.  They tried to convince Congress that they
had to impose the surcharge because the increased use of the internet was
degrading regular service (with nothing to back up their claims). Some old
and young geeks ran some simulations and told Congress that Ma Bell was
full of sh*t.  Ma bell once again, red faced, backed off.
You can breathe easy now but watch 'em, they're always looking for a fast
buck.

Andy

On 01/18/98 09:06 PM SUCHAK said...