Re: TR6 fan blower testing

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: TR6 fan blower testing
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:33:11 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 1/15/98 6:41:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
suhring@lancnews.infi.net writes:

> Could you explain how you properly lubricate the blower fan? I wasn't
>  aware you could get into these things or if so, it was a real pain
>  in the ....

Scott,

No, I don't really know how myself.  The fan in my operable TR6 only squeaks
once in a while, and I can get it to quit by shutting it off and turning it
back on again, so I'm just going to live with it until it gets too bad.  On my
project TR6, I am going to replace the fan motor with new one from some other
car, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  I am also going to modify the sheet
metal to redirect the air flow so my right foot doesn't cook!  I might wind up
completely redoing the whole unit.

You are right, though, to lube the fan, you have to remove the whole unit,
which is a pain in the ......!  There is just no other way to get to it (just
to be completely honest, you could get to it without removing the whole thing,
but it would be at least 10 times as much work as removing it -- it would be a
lot like extracting a wisdom tooth rectally!).  Just looking at the fan motor,
it looks like maybe a little WD40 might do, or a little dab of grease, but I
haven't tried it.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74