Re: TR6 fan blower testing

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 fan blower testing
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:52:53 -0800
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS wrote:

> In a message dated 1/15/98 6:41:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> suhring@lancnews.infi.net writes:
>
> > Could you explain how you properly lubricate the blower fan? I wasn't
> >  aware you could get into these things or if so, it was a real pain
> >  in the ....
>
> Scott,
>
> No, I don't really know how myself.

Seems there are several people on the list with cars in various stages
of assembly and disassembly, and Scott might be able to check with them
first to see if the motor is a sealed unit, or can be disassembled. Many
later motors of American origin are throwaways--little twisted bits and
dimples holding the frame halves together--and they can only be
disassembled with difficulty. Fan motors of that period typically had
felt washer wicks for oiling, or oil impregnated sintered bronze
bearings, and the only way to lubricate them properly is to take them
apart and clean and oil them.

> The fan in my operable TR6 only squeaks
> once in a while, and I can get it to quit by shutting it off and turning it
> back on again, so I'm just going to live with it until it gets too bad.  On my
> project TR6, I am going to replace the fan motor with new one from some other
> car, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the existing fan motor in
the GT6 with an electronically-commutated one from EG&G Rotron. A little
higher rotational speed with less current draw. But, I don't relish the
thought of removing the heater assembly, either.

> I am also going to modify the sheet
> metal to redirect the air flow so my right foot doesn't cook!  I might wind up
> completely redoing the whole unit.

Good idea, that.

Cheers.

--