Re: TR6 fan blower testing

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 fan blower testing
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:14:40 -0800 (PST)
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, DANMAS wrote:

> You are right, though, to lube the fan, you have to remove the whole unit,
> which is a pain in the ......!  There is just no other way to get to it (just
> to be completely honest, you could get to it without removing the whole thing,
> but it would be at least 10 times as much work as removing it -- it would be a
> lot like extracting a wisdom tooth rectally!).  Just looking at the fan motor,
> it looks like maybe a little WD40 might do, or a little dab of grease, but I
> haven't tried it.

If it's anything like the TR4 fan unit, the motor is (almost) sealed; I
thought about lubing the fan while the motor was out but it stopped
squeaking after being inside (and shaken) for a while.  To get at the
windings of the motor-- and the bearings, you have to take the fan out,
remove the impeller, then open the case... then work backwards till yer
blue in the face to get it all back together.

I sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 all over it in the hopes it would
'migrate' around to where it's needed.

Of course, the heater may have changed for the TR6... I don't know.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4