Re: Fram PH3600 Oil Filter

To: 74137.3420@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fram PH3600 Oil Filter
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:49:54 EST
In a message dated 1/14/98 4:01:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
74137.3420@compuserve.com writes:

> At the risk of reopening the dreaded spin-on oil filter thread, I
>  have a question concerning the Fram PH3600 filter. As I recall, we
>  concluded the last round with the verdict that this filter had both a
>  drainback valve and a bypass valve. Today at Trak Auto, I was comparing
>  filters and I could see the drainback valve, but no evidence of a bypass
>  valve. I went with the Motorcraft FL-400A, which obviously had both
>  features.

At the risk revealing my ignorance, why would a bypass valve be important? If
I understand correctly (and since there are no electrons involved, there is a
good chance I don't), the purpose of the bypass valve is to allow oil to
bypass a clogged filter. That is probably a good idea for the great un-washed,
but is there any one on this list that would let a filter go un-changed to the
point that it becomes clogged? Or does the bypass serve another function as
well?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74