Re: Fram PH3600 Oil Filter

To: 74137.3420@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Fram PH3600 Oil Filter
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:09:10 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 1/15/98 10:15:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
74137.3420@compuserve.com writes:

> I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I'm guessing. I do run 20W-50 oil
>  year round however, as I only drive occasionally in the winter and my
>  30-year old engine might be less happy with 10W-40. If you've ever seen 20W
>  oil at even 35 or 40 degrees, it's no great stretch of the imagination to
>  think that perhaps some of it might be bypassed during engine warmup. As I
>  said, I don't know, and since the stock engine had a bypass, I thought I'd
>  keep it that way.

Tom,

This is well outside any area of expertise I may have also, but if the bypass
allows unfiltered oil into the engine, under any condition, I would think that
would be a very bad thing, and should be avoided at all costs -- even to the
point of changing oil seasonally if need be.

Someone else pointed out (my apologies for losing his name) that the block
bypass ran filtered oil back to the sump, whereas the filter bypass ran
unfiltered oil back to the block, if I read his post correctly.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74