Re: TR6/TR250 P.I. Car Question

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Subject: Re: TR6/TR250 P.I. Car Question
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 01:13:31 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> On 13 Jan 1998, Robert M. Lang wrote:
>
> > where they
> > show a FI throttle body that fits on manifolds that were meant for SU HS6's
> > or SZ 175's.
>
> I'm not sure what's the point. A system that relies on replacing SUs with
> similar FI throttle bodies would not get the performance benefits of a
> proper multi-point FI (e.g. the standard Lucas PI).

After a lot of looking at aftermarket systems, along with the
possibilities present in adapting American OEM equipment, I'd have to
agree with Egil. Throttle body systems were, to my mind, the cheap way
to inject by using existing manifolding. The same problems with mixture
distribution are present with TBI as for carburetion, to a considerable
degree. I am even a bit suspicious of the multi-point systems which add
Weber-flanged throttle bodies to a Weber manifold, such as that which
TWM sells, simply because the injector is then placed too far from the
port, which creates, to a lesser degree, the same problems with patchy
mixture. That's just a gut feeling right now, but one I'm heeding for
the moment.

> > say $2000 or less.
>
> For $2000 you could surely get an as-new Lucas PI, with money to spare.

Egil, I'm curious about that--someone from Six-Pack told me a good long
while ago that finding the correct manifold would be the most difficult
part of adapting a Lucas PI system. The other problem is that new parts
are virtually non-existent in the US. Is all the PI equipment commonly
available new in Europe, including manifolds?

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....