Re: TR6/TR250 P.I. Car Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6/TR250 P.I. Car Question
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 09:59:47 GMT
On 15 Jan 1998, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> Egil, I'm curious about that--someone from Six-Pack told me a good long
> while ago that finding the correct manifold would be the most difficult
> part of adapting a Lucas PI system.

As long as we are speaking of the six cylinder, finding a set of manifolds
are the least of your worries. They were used for the TR5, TR6 and the
2.5 PI saloons, and are readily and plentifully available at any S/H
Triumph dealer. Try to find a set that is not too worn in the butterfly
axle bushes, or have them re-sleeved. (I think the manifolds for the
sports cars and the saloon were exactly the same).

Also beware that there are two types, the early type with one set of
cross-over tubes, the late type with two. The latter type should give you
a more stable engine idle speed.

The rest of the bits are also readily available from the UK as S/H and
overhauled parts. You might consider getting a Bosch fuel pump instead of
the OE Lucas type. The Lucas type usually needs more maintenance than the
Bosch type, and they cost about the same.

> The other problem is that new parts
> are virtually non-existent in the US. Is all the PI equipment commonly
> available new in Europe, including manifolds?

New parts are scarce, but overhauled S/H parts are no problem (unless, I
assume, converting to PI becomes a very popular pastime in the US ;-).

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway