Re: Fuel Cells

To: Scott Kohl <sdkgt6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Cells
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:49:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott Kohl wrote:

> Hi, all.
> The biggest problem with running a cell on the street, for our cars at
> least, is their reduced capacity for the same amount of room due to the
> space taken by the "sponge".  The retired machinist in my club who built
> a street-going GT6 Mk.3 dragster (Mopar 340", Art Carr/B&M 727
> Torqueflite, 8 3/4" 'Cuda rear) fitted a 12-gallon (US) cell in the rear
> (stock tank 11.7 gallons).  It consumes the entire tail section from the
> rear bulk, and up to approximately the bottom of the hatch opening.

The rough dimensions are interesting. The cell will be bigger, not only
because of the foam inside, but since it is also enclosed in a
rubberized bladder and then stuffed, usually, into an aluminum housing.
I'm curious though, was the fuel cell just monstrous, or did this fellow
install large tubs to accommodate big rear tires, and therefore reduce
the available space in the rear, requiring a taller fuel cell?

I've considered a fuel cell early on for my GT6+, simply because there's
nothing but sheet metal back there--no reinforcements or frame members
extending back to the rear of the tank area. And, I would think that the
bolts sticking out toward the inside which hold on the rear bumperettes
would work well as can openers in a really hard rear-end collision.
Definitely don't want my Triumph doing Pinto imitations....

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....