Re: Dumb Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dumb Question
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 21:00:14 -0700
Cc: hobrien@webosl.com
> From: hobrien@webos1.com (Will O'Brien)
> Subject: Dumb Question
>
> In preparation for installing my new calipers, pads, front bearings and
> those cool SS teflon hoses on my 77 spit, I'm getting ready to pull the
> front hubs.  I can't figure out how to pull the Hub caps that cover the nut
> and split pin that holds the hubs together.  Reccomindations???
>
> Will

Channel locks will work, but I would not recommend trying
to use the hole in the center.  There isn't enough thickness
at that point to get a good grip with a screw or bolt.  Here's
how I do it:  After removing the wheel, get a large wood
chisel, place the sharp end in the space between the hub
and the raised ring around the outside of the cap.  Tilt the
handle of the chisel towards the center of the car until it
contacts the hub.  The chisel will be angled outward just
enough that tapping on it will loosen the cap without
damaging it.  Keep rotating it and tapping until it falls
off.  Works on my GT6.
Dave