Re: Dumb Question

To: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question
From: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:25:59 -0500
As others have noted the proper way is to insert a bolt in the hole. As you
turn the bolt in, it contacts the end of the spindle and forces the cap
off. But that is all in theory. What really happens is that the threads in
the cap give way before it starts to budge. As Joe Curry says, you can try
to wiggle the cap off if you can get to flat edges on opposite sides. You
can also try tapping it with a flat screw driver to get an edge and work it
off that way. The last resort is to hammer it off and get new ones.
When you get them off, thoroughly clean the inside of all the grease. Epoxy
(JB Weld works great)or MIG weld a 10-24 nut on the inside of the cap. The
next time you have to remove the cap it will be a breeze.

Vic Whitmore
76 Triumph Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario