Re: 79 Spit Oil leak

To: The Solomon Organization <ab096@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us>
Subject: Re: 79 Spit Oil leak
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 07:51:22 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Solomon Organization wrote:

> Have a 79 Spitter with 33k on clock converted to weber downdraft and
> header.  Removed air pump and egr.  Have a problem with oil seeping from
> dipstick tube.  Engine has new pan gasket and plumbing from the valve cover
> breather to carb and canister (T'd to carb air cleaner breather element).
> Can't seem to stop the leak and its smelling up the place when it gets on
> the header.  Anyone have an idea or similar experience?  i could use a
> little help on this one.  The car runs great otherwise.
when you removed the stock carb, etc. you probably blocked/eliminated
the venting for the oil pan.  the oil is being forced out the dipstick
tube by crankcase pressure.  the crankcase must be vented or pressure
will force the oil out of any opening it can sneak past. everytime the
pistons go up and down, they create a large amount of pressure in the
crankcase.  if this pressure is not allowed to escape, you wind up with
oil being pushed out of any available path. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive