Re: 79 Spit Oil leak

To: The Solomon Organization <ab096@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us>
Subject: Re: 79 Spit Oil leak
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:48:22 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

The Solomon Organization wrote:

> Have a 79 Spitter with 33k on clock converted to weber downdraft and
> header.  Removed air pump and egr.  Have a problem with oil seeping from
> dipstick tube.  Engine has new pan gasket and plumbing from the valve cover
> breather to carb and canister (T'd to carb air cleaner breather element).
> Can't seem to stop the leak and its smelling up the place when it gets on
> the header.  Anyone have an idea or similar experience?  i could use a
> little help on this one.  The car runs great otherwise.

 I don't know what removing the air pump will do, but I can remember that when
my brother did that to his '68 Camaro way back when....., It would blow all the
oil out of it because of excess pressure building up in the crankcase.  It
seems that when GM went to the Emissions control System in '68, they sealed up
the hole in the back of the engine where the Blow-by pipe was fitted.  WIthout
the pump, there was no way to vent the crankcase properly.

I don't know if this is going on here, but it is a good theory.

BTW, I have a 1500 engine in my '63 Spit and I too have an oil leak.  Oil is
coming out in several places, but not enough to be of grave concern.  I just
have to find the time to trace the source.

Good Luck,
Joe Curry