RE: Speedvision tape

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Speedvision tape
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:26:51 -0700

I think the fact that Triumph made the films and were the original
owners doesn't imply that no one owns them now that Triumph is no longer
in business. I suspect Speedvision owns the rights because they
purchased the films from the previous owner. Although they could just be
paying royalties to the actual owner (whoever that might be).

Kind of similar to the Beatles (or Lennon-McCartney) having written
their songs and originally owning the rights to them (or maybe it was
their record company - don't know the details) but later Michael Jackson
(oh isn't he deeply in the "where are they now" files?) bought the
rights so he gets any royalties the songs earn (undoubtedly a nice
annual stipend).

So someone does own the TR tapes' rights and distributing copies of them
for *profit* is likely an infraction of copyright (or other) laws.
Distributing them in a not-for-profit manner as discussed on the list
may or may not be. But I would be careful...

I ain't no lawyer so this is just my common sense opinion.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada