SU carb problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU carb problem
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 14:46:45 -0800
I just finished rebuilding some early 60s SU carbs, and I think I finally
go almost everything right. The one problem is that the rear carb's
piston rises very slowly when pushed up with a screwdriver. It falls
just as nicely as the front carb's piston, but there's too much resistance
in the dampner for it to rise as easily. If I take out the dampner (the
little
rod that you remove to ad carb oil), the piston rises correctly.
Also, pushing the dampner back in requires more pressure than doing so
on the front carb. I am using the correct weight of oil.

Any suggestions on what might be going on? I haven't tuned the carbs yet,
but I
imagine that if I left it this way, then that carb would rob power and
always run lean
since the piston would rise too slowly in response to greater throttle
openings.

Karim
Karim Marouf
Canon Communications LLC