Re: SU carb problem

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: SU carb problem
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 18:59:39 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> I just finished rebuilding some early 60s SU carbs, and I think I finally
> go almost everything right. The one problem is that the rear carb's
> piston rises very slowly when pushed up with a screwdriver. It falls
> just as nicely as the front carb's piston, but there's too much resistance
> in the dampner for it to rise as easily. If I take out the dampner (the
> little
> rod that you remove to ad carb oil), the piston rises correctly.
> Also, pushing the dampner back in requires more pressure than doing so
> on the front carb. I am using the correct weight of oil.
>
> Any suggestions on what might be going on? I haven't tuned the carbs yet,
> but I
> imagine that if I left it this way, then that carb would rob power and
> always run lean
> since the piston would rise too slowly in response to greater throttle
> openings.
>
> Karim
> Karim Marouf
> Canon Communications LLC
> Tel: 310-392-5509
> Fax: 310-392-4920
> Internet Address: karim.marouf@cancom.com
> Home Page: http://www.cancom.com

Karim, just a few questions
# 1- did you rebuild these carbs completely and do them seperatly.
# 2 any chance of switching the pistons from one to the other. These are
a matched pair and cannot be switched.
# 3 is the oil level correct in both carbs.
# 4 what are you using for damper oil & what wt.
when any two items are involved I have always found it best to complete
just one and then put it aside and start on the other.
# 5 did you polish the jets for smooth operation
Just some thoughts that come to mind. Hope this helps. Good Luck "FT"