Herald Redo

To: sjmeds@rockisland.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Herald Redo
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:07:11 EST
On  Mon, 05 Jan 1998 Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
wrote Subject: Herald Redo

I own a 1966 Hearld convertible which I purchased in 1971 and I am about to
do a frame off on it.  I Have a couple of questions about some modification
that I am considering.

>>Chris,Congragulations on your decision to replace such a fine icon of
British automotive design,and indeed for running it for so long before
embarking on a frame-off job! (I've only had my 1967 Herald Convertible since
1981,and my frame-off is due to beging in December 1999).

First. I am considering replacing the standard dashboard with a Vitesse
dashboard which will allow me to install the Vitesse Tachometer.  I believe
that this is possible although I dont know where to attach the tack cable.

>>I have done this in my Herald,so it is indeed possible!
I fitted the Vitesse Mk.2 dashboard with twin speedo' and tach'
OK,assuming you're keeping the original 1147cc four cylinder engine,you have a
couple of choices open to you.
1)You can find an early (Spitfire 4 or Mk.2) Distributor which will almost
certainly need a rebuild if it has done in excess of 50-60,000 miles.
This will have a  take off for the Mechanical Tachometer which you might also
try to obtain from the same source car,as the Vitesse Tachometer which looks
about the same,is differently geared,(I think).
2)You can send your Mechanical Tacho (Vitesse or Spitfire)away to someone like
'Speedy Cables' in London,England,(not unfeasible by Courier/Air),for them to
convert it to electronic (RVC) operation.
(I specify RVC as opposed to RVI,as the ignition doesn't run through RVC
units,and won't cut-out if the tacho ever dies! My RVI unit lasted 6 years!)
(If I've got RVI & RVC mixed-up,I'm sure Dan Masters will say something!)
They may need to know your cars' gearing in order to do the conversion,but you
can sort that out with them,as they are extremely helpful.

>>Contact point:Speedy Cables (London) Ltd,
The Mews,St.Paul Street,Islington,London,N1 7BU,United Kingdom
tel:00-44-171-226-9228  FAX:00-44-171-704-9542
(I have no financial interest,but I always use them and remain impressed)

Second.   I have always loved the car except for the seats.  Since the seats
are pretty well shot, I am considering replacing them with something a
little more "sporty".

>>I have 1971 Vitesse Mk.2 seats in my Herald,and 1976 Daimler
Sovereign/Jaguar
XJ6-2 seats in my Vitesse.
The Jag' seats fit rather well,in fact the top outside corners are sloped
inwards and do not touch the wooden door cappings,as the square-shouldered
Vitesse seats do!
Obviously though,you'll need to alter the floor to take the Jag mounting
frames,c/w ball-bearing races which actually work!
I had a pair of 1982 Cobra reclining seats fitted in my Herald,they were
sporty and fairly comfortable,but the non-removeable headrests did not suit
the cars lines,the universal seat runners,(extra!),were unusable and the fact
they were recliners was a waste of time because there was nowhere for them to
recline!!!
The T.S.S.C. do sell various modern sporty seats for Spitfires and Heralds,but
I expect you can find something more locally to yourself,Stateside.
I don't know where you are located in the USA but try Ted Schumacher/TSI on
email
tedtsimx@mail.bright.net

Thirdly.  The car is still the original dark blue that was very common for
Hearlds.  I am considering painting it BRG but don't know if that's an
insult to  model.

No insult at all,they look just fine in BRG,but personally I think the
interior/soft-top etc,on BRG cars looks better in tan tan black.

BRG is not a million miles away from Triumph Conifer (code 25),current
1963-1968

Feed Back Please, including suggestions, warnings and blessings

Good Luck and Go for it!
Leon F Guyot
(Hopelessly in Love with Heralds & Vitesse)
ps.Chris,are you a member of the Triumph Sports Six Club yet?
Check us out at <http://www.tssc-hq.demon.co.uk/TSSC.html>