Re: Herald Redo

To: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Herald Redo
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:42:46 +0100
Chris DeStaffany wrote:

> I own a 1966 Hearld convertible which I purchased in 1971 and
> I am about to do a frame off on it.

Probably a good idea. They need to be preserved for the generations
to come...

> I Have a couple of questions about some modification that I
> am considering.
>
> First. I am considering replacing the standard dashboard with
> a Vitesse dashboard which will allow me to install the Vitesse
> Tachometer. I believe that this is possible although I dont
> know where to attach the tack cable.

You'll have to get a Spitfire distributor from a pre '75 car.
They, and they only, have the drive gear for the tachometer on
a 4 cylinder engine. It was only fitted on the '62-'74 Spitfires
so it might complicate matters slightly... No other car had that
Delco distributor, and from '75 the Spit got an electronic tach
and lost the drive gear for the mechanical tach.

> Thirdly. The car is still the original dark blue that was very
> common for Hearlds. I am considering painting it BRG but don't
> know if that's an insult to  model.

It's Your car. You can paint it any way You like. My suggestion
would of course be to paint it Signal Red, but that's my personal
preference... YMMV
But please don't paint it metallic since that's a type of paint
never offered on the Heralds.

Good luck with Your restoration!
Yours
/Odd