TR6 Exhaust manifold

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: TR6 Exhaust manifold
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 06:40:39 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott S. writes:
>As appears common, the exhaust manifild is all rust discolored
>and looks like hell compared the intake manifold
   <  snip  >
>My question is what is the proper way
>to paint this to prevent future rusting/discoloration.
  <  snip  >
**************************
Scott,
The only thing that I have found that lasts is Jet Hot's (or equiv.)
ceramic coating.  It comes in several different colors, but you have to
send it in to have it done.  Once done it will outlast your manifold.  I
have tried just about everything else, High temp exhaust paint, including
the Eastwood Stainless Steel Gray High Temp coating that Steve mentioned.
I too sandblasted the unit clean, even used gloves to handle it prior to
applying paint.  Followed the instructions to the letter, flaked off after
about two month's of applying - was rather disappointed, because I have
usually been happy with Eastwoods products J. C. Whitney, many years ago,
used to sell a brush on ceramic coating and that worked pretty well but I
haven't been able to find it since.  I have often thought that the ceramic
'glazing' that is used on pottery might work, but haven't ever tried it and
in fact it may be too brittle -

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)