RE: balljoint extraction - spitfire

To: "Jim Cullen" <jcullen@direct.ca> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: balljoint extraction - spitfire
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 31 Mar 1997 08:20:38 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 09E4A333FE456015-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 31 Mar 1997 08:20:38 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 31 Mar 1997 08:20:38 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <09E4A333FE456015*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Jim Cullen wrote:
[snip] I've known for a while that I've needed to change my upper balljoints
and tire rod ends, having never done so I eagerly attacked the job without
the balljoint splitter that Haynes states is needed. I am now stuck. My
question is I have read of
others here in the past who have gotten away without a ball joint splitter
(I think it included some wood, a hammer, and some sweat). What is the way
to go removing the ball joint without the aforementioned splitter?  If I do
decide to invest in a splitter, are there different sizes (I seem to
remember a thread a while back stating that not all splitters would do the
job on our wonderfull little beasts)
++++++++++++++++++++
Jim - I tried both methods on my Mk I Spit.  Hammer and wood were
ineffective.  Borrowed my neighbor's pickle fork (he is mister automobile
"tooltime") and discovered that the fork tines were just a little too wide
to really be effective on the little teensy ball joints and tie rod ends on
LBCs.  Went to Sears and found a Craftsman "Ball Joint Splitter Kit", that
had a hardened threaded shaft, and four interchangeable screw on fork heads,
all different sizes.  Cost was a little pricey (about $20), but by God, it
worked perfectly with the smallest head.  Saved me a lot of aggravation.
 Anyways, just my $.02.  Good luck.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe