Re: Spit emissions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit emissions
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 08:51:20 -0800
Shawn M. writes:

>I'm in the process of sorting out the emissions on my 79 Spit, and have
>a few questions for the greater knowledge of the list.  I am currently
>using it as my daily driver in Florida but will be moving to Los Angeles
>in the following months.  As a recent resident of LA, I'm aware
>(somewhat) of the more stringent California emissions standards, but
>what about visual check standards?
   <   snip   >
If it doesn't have the required (or what their book says is required) for
that model and type car it will NOT pass the visual inspection, you will not
pass go, you will not collect $200.  You won't even get the tailpipe check.
The shop will fail you on the visual inspection alone - whether the car
meets emission specs or not.  It could be spewing out pure oxygen and it
wouldn't matter ( really has a lot to do with clean air doesn't it)  Unless
the header is CARB approved you cannot install it, you will fail the visual
without the approval sticker.  You can't technically even change the
configuration of the exhaust system (larger pipe, different muffler) unless
these items have a carb approved sticker - Bottom line, you have to have
everything the car is supposed to have and it must be functioning to pass,
and if your lucky it might just pass the test the first time, If your REAL
lucky!