balljoint extraction - spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: balljoint extraction - spitfire
From: Jim Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 14:31:18 -0800 (PST)
Hello list, I am finally able to get some long needed maitenance done on
"Jade" after a period of convalesence; courtesy of my bravado, a pair of
ski's, and a tree, but that is another story. I've known for a while that
I've needed to change my upper balljoints and tire rod ends, having never
done so I eagerly attacked the job without the balljoint splitter that
Haynes states is needed. I am now stuck. My question is I have read of
others here in the past who have gotten away without a ball joint splitter
(I think it included some wood, a hammer, and some sweat). What is the way
to go removing the ball joint without the aforementioned splitter?  If I do
decide to invest in a splitter, are there different sizes (I seem to
remember a thread a while back stating that not all splitters would do the
job on our wonderfull little beasts)

Your much appreciated insight is eagerly awaited,

Jim Cullen
1974 Spitfire
British Racing Green