Re: FW: Let's talk about Triumphs!

To: LESNYD@monsanto.com
Subject: Re: FW: Let's talk about Triumphs!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 01:04:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>      Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:46:20 -0600
>      From: LESNYD@monsanto.com
>      Subject: Let's talk about Triumphs!
>
> This morning I received 4 digests from the Triumphs list in the mail.
> In those digests were a total of 204 messages, and the subject matter
> broke down like this:
>
>      Personal comments
>        (age, habits, jokes, etc.):                  8 ( 4%)
>      TRF (including Coventry Inn and
>        whining about not getting the newsletter):  69 (34%)
>      Actual discussion about Triumphs:             80 (39%)
>      Beer or Brits:                                38 (19%)
>      Wanted/For Sale:                               7 ( 3%)
>      Random non-LBC discussion:                     2 ( 1%)
>
> I've been on this list since 1991, and I've never seen the
> signal-to-noise ratio so low. This is exactly what caused me to leave
> the British-Cars list a while back.

Well, Larry, as I recall, one of your last messages on this list had
nothing to do with the list... something to the effect of, "well, folks,
it's been fun, but I'm too busy for this, I've got to go to the
Republican national convention." I didn't care any more for your public
political pretensions than you care for the occasional errant joke here,
but I didn't write you and complain.... (!) That's known as tolerance. I
only mention this because you're now complaining. <g>

Perhaps people are having fun doing what they're doing (okay, Johnny
Storm, "International Racing Driver," has probably stretched the limits
here a bit <g>), but this is not a life-or-death struggle... it's a
meeting place for people with a common interest. Some of whom have a
sense of humor. <g> And, therefore, tell jokes, sometimes even relating
to their cars. <g>

The TRF thread, to some minds, could be just idle nattering, but behind
it all are ordinary people with ordinary incomes with a somewhat
expensive hobby, and are naturally concerned with where their money
goes. Some may feel the need to talk about this because they may feel
that their purchases should support an enterprise in order for that
enterprise to be around to service them in years to come--and some
people here are worried about that. If some feel edgy about TRF, this is
as good a forum as any to express that view. A _lot_ of TRF customers
here. Not all of them satisfied customers.

As for the 19% with comments about beer, I don't know what to say,
except that, perhaps, English car owners have an interest in English
beer. Don't know if that's genetically or socially motivated (an
entirely new thread, I fear <g>). Besides, it's a cyclical thread--this
is the first continuing thread I remember about beer in the eight months
I've been here; it's been going on for about ten days, and will die out
in that amount of time hence.

Larry, if you think your time is being wasted, just unsubscribe for a
while. If you need information, the list is still there. You can always
make a non-member submission, in the same way as the one you made above.

Speaking of wasting time... does Monsanto know you're doing statistical
analysis of the content of messages on triumphs@autox.team.net on their
time, with their equipment? <g>

Oh, btw, I've moved offices and jobs in my company three times in seven
months--just found your photo set of the TR250 last week... will return
it soon. You were right... the paint really does look like it was put on
with a trowel. (Whew!) If you're planning on fixing that thing up, I'd
suggest renting a jackhammer for paint removal. <g> As you probably have
guessed, I passed on it because of the non-negotiable price. At best,
it's a $500-600 parts car. $1500 firm is too much.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....