[eburger@sagelink.com: exhaust/seats for Spitfire Mk II]

To: triumphs
Subject: [eburger@sagelink.com: exhaust/seats for Spitfire Mk II]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:35:38 -0700 (MST)

This was sent to the wrong address, rather than triumphs@autox.team.net

mjb.
----

     Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:02:08 -0500 (EST)
     From: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
     Subject: exhaust/seats for Spitfire Mk II

hello all!  Please send replies to eburger@sagelink.com, I am using the
digest and miss a lot of messages.

[ Huh?  What do you mean "miss a lot of messages?"   mjb.]

I'm almost finished restoring my Spitfire .... just a few steps left to
go.  We still have the exhaust to tackle.  I've decided that I'm going to
spend the extra money and get a Supertrapp muffler.  In any event, the
header on the Mark II Spitfire ends in a 1.5" or 1.75" pipe.  I need to
expand this to a 2" pipe so it will fit the Supertrapp exhaust.  I wanted
to know at what point I should start the 2" piping.  I could start it at
the first two collectors, where the four branches join into two
branches.  I could start it at the second set of collectors, where the
two pipes join into one.  Or, I could just install an adapter to enlarge
the pipe from 1.75" to 2".  The first would require a lot (big
understatement) of work.  The second would be relatively easy, as it
would only require the fabrication of one pipe.  The third would be
really easy.

Next question!  The seats in my Spitfire are ... trash.  They need new
covers, foam, and the frames probably are rusty.  I've got quotes at
around $500 to restore them, and I find this ridiculus.  Anyone know
where I could get cheap Spitfire seats or anything that would look the
part?  As it stands, I'm putting Summit Racing seats in at $62.75 each.

Last question.  I've heard rumors that the Spitfire's engine gets quite
hot in the summer.  In the Summit Racing catalog, they have header wrap
that is supposed to reduce engine temps average 70%.  Does anyone have
experience with these?  Its only $25.50 for a roll of header wrap, so I'm
definitely considering it.  Even if it only cools it down a little bit, a
cooler engine's a better engine.  Also on the subject of heat, does
anyone have any experience with the heat shielding materials sold in the
Summit catalog?  I intend to use the car daily this summer, so I want to
make it as comfortable as possible.

Thanks,
Ed  (1965 Spitfire Mark II)