Re: 1970 TR6 PI's

Subject: Re: 1970 TR6 PI's
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:16:29 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On 26 mar 1997, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK wrote:

> I know sod all about TR6's although ISTR someone saying that the Lucas pump
> needed Lead

You hear that being said many places, but I think it is just old
superstition. There is nothing in the Lucas manual to suggest that lead
is required.

A friend of mine with a TR6 wrote to an oil company asking about this, and
got an answer in writing that the unleaded fuel would not harm his pump.
Which should mean they were serious - they would risk liability claims if
harm was caused.

The tetraethyl lead could only have a lubricating effect at elevated
temperatures (as found on the exhaust valve), they said. Which makes
sense to me. I have been driving my 2.5 PI on unleaded for a few years,
and have not had any problems. FWIW.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway