Re: 1970 TR6 PI's

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Subject: Re: 1970 TR6 PI's
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 23:52:13 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> Funny you should mention those guys, I have never heard of them before
> two days ago when I friend of mine borrowed me some tapes. I even got to
> hear a listener asking exactly *that* valve question. Strange coincidence.
> Click'n Clack seems to give sound advice some of the time, but definitely
> not always. And they refer to LBCs as junk. They're sometimes funny, though.

I guess you missed Tom Magliozzi talking about recent Jaguars... lust
was in his heart. <g> And they are funny, more often than not. (!) Heard
any of their shows of them going after GM? Or Dodge/Plymouth vans?
Lawsuits awaiting, I would guess.... <g>

> Exhaust valves are quite another matter altogether. Cars with valve seats
> machined in a cast iron head can develop trouble with the exhaust valve
> seat recession. The problem is much more pronounced with hard driving/
> high temperatures, if you just cruise around town you won't notice.

Europe, in general, was rather late getting on the unleaded band wagon
(if I take the FDR as an example--Sweden notwithstanding <g>), so their
experience is not the same as ours in the US. Even normal driving, with
the rather lean mixtures prompted by EPA regs, eats up valves and seats
with great regularity. Even hardened seats in aluminum heads suffered
noticeably... I've repaired my share here in the last fifteen years.
Even Stellite only goes so far. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....