Re: 4WD Stag

Subject: Re: 4WD Stag
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:45:01 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
27. mars 1997 skrev Daniel Pruzan:

> I was just looking through a recent issue of Autoweek and saw a short
> note that a factory four wheel drive Stag was sold for $11K (US).

There existed a 4WD conversion for the 2000, at least. Utilizing the 3
differential "FF" (Formula Fergusson) system. I have seen pictures of a
4WD estate registered in Switzerland. I think it also had a mechanical
anti-lock brake system of some sort too.

I have never heard of a Stag 4WD, but at least there should be no problem
whatsoever using a system designed for the saloon on the Stag too, they are
practically identical in the transmission and suspension departments (the
Stag wheelbase being shorter).

> didn't know there were any.  Does this mean that Triumph was ahead of
> their time with a four wheel drive sports car or was it an attempt to
> reduce the chances of being stuck on the road due to driveline failure:-)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an "offical" option, but rather a conversion
offered by Fergusson. The 3-differential solution would make it much more
prone to being stranded due to driveline failure, BTW.

>  Along these lines, did they ever try to fit one with two engines?

Definitely not.

Triumph *did* make a few 4WD cars themselves. A handful Dolomite saloons
were equipped with 4WD for rally use. Interestingly, that bodyshell
started as a FWD version. Realizing what a mess FWD really is, Triumph
came to their senses after a few years and switched to RWD. Using the same
shell, with only a few modifications. This fact must have made a 4WD quite
an obvious and straightforward thing.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway