Spitfire--No Start?

To: jderk@evansville.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire--No Start?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 22:47:58 -0500 (EST)
Fri, 28 Mar 1997, James Derk wrote:

<< My 1980 Spitfire has been stored all winter...when I connect
<< fully charged battery and turn the key, I get nada. No dash
<< lights, no nothing. When I turn on headlights, etc, I get
<< nothing.

<< Battery leads look okay and intact, but need some advice on where
<< to start looking. Battery is known good.

Jim:

Using a voltmeter or a test lamp (I prefer a test lamp), and a wiring
diagram, start checking for voltage. Start with the battery cable going into
the "Rusty box" (not owning a Spit, I can only imagine what this rusty box
is). You should have voltage at the end of the cable. The cable should
connect to one or more Brown wires. Trace each of these wires, looking for
voltage at each end of any connectors you find. If you have voltage all the
way to the ignition switch, turn the switch on and start tracing wires from
it. Trace them one at a time, and sooner or later, you will come to a point
where you no longer have voltage. Somewhere between this point, and the last
point you had voltage, is the problem.

Hope this helps.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN