1970 TR6 PI's

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1970 TR6 PI's
From: David Stauffacher <74357.2427@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 25 Mar 97 23:30:03 EST
To Chris Bullock:  Congratulations on your new PI TR6!!

You and I are traveling down the same path.  I picked my 1970 PI TR6 up a couple
years back when living in Australia.  It was or is a "fair dinkum" basket case!
Im in the beginning stages of a complete frame-off restoration.  I envy you
that you could at least get behind the wheel and drive it.  Mine had to be
pushed on and off by hand/winch.  I did get behind the drivers wheel and dream
of times to come!!

Driving RHD will be challenging at first.  Having spent many years going back
and forth between the U.S., England and Australia, it only takes me about one
hour to fully adjust but then it helps considerably that EVERYONE else is
driving on the left!!  The only troublesome part for me was looking in the
rearview mirror.  Instinctively I look up to the right which puts me staring out
into space!!  Dual outside mirrors helped get around that little problem.
Shifting with your left hand I found to be of no consequence.

A while back there was as thread about driving in the U.S with RHD.  While it
makes no sense to convert a LHD to RHD, driving with the latter is not that
troublesome.  I can only speak from experience.  For several months I putted
around in a surplus U.S. Postal System jeep with  RHD.  On the California
streets and freeways, visibility and overtaking were not hindered significantly.
I dont know what type of roads you will be using back in Vermont.

I was in the U.K last November to participate in the Centenary London to
Brighton Run.  Before departing I made arrangements with a mate of mine who owns
a TR restoration shop to pick up some of the bits and pieces I need in restoring
my car.  As you will find out or already know, finding RHD and PI parts in the
States in a lost cause.  Whilst in England, I had him overhaul and recalibrate
my metering unit, check out my injectors and intakes.  He was also able to get
my a complete new interior - no headrests on my seats.  By the time I was ready
to return to the U.S. I had all the odd parts needed to complete my restoration.
If you need to have someone look over you PI, I can readily recommend this
person.

The Bosch pump is an excellent choice.  A few TR6 owners in the UK still use the
Lucas pump.  Its easy to identify them as they are the ones stranded along side
the road!!

If you have any questions about the PI system, give me a shout.  If I cant
help, there are others out there that we can contact.

The fun begins.

Dave Stauffacher
San Diego, California

CP51649 (I added an overdrive)