Re: Spitfire 1500 rear suspension fitted to Mk. 1 Spitfire?

To: Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 rear suspension fitted to Mk. 1 Spitfire?
From: creigkay@juno.com (Creig & Kay Houghtaling)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 06:46:05 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry,

I am the one who was retrofiting the 1500 Spitfire suspension onto a Mk.
I Spitfire.  Your information was very helpful regarding the brake lines
and the swing links/connections.

I now have the car together and almost ready to drive.  What I did was I
took over a restoration started by another fellow.  He had started a
wheels up restoration, but when he got to the body, he gave up.  So I
bought a completely refurbished frame and mechanicals (including 4
Yokahama autocross tires).  He had put the 1500 spring and axel set-up on
it.  Everything worked OK till I got to the swing arm on the left side.
I put the 1500 body mount on and it was not the right angle to connect.
I put the Mk. I mount back on, and with a little pushing, made it fit.  I
think what happened, is on the left side he used the older
wheel/shock/bearing holder hardware.  (Who knows why.)  Can you confirm
for me that the wheel/shock mounting hardware has a different swing arm
mounting angle between the Mk. I and the 1500?  If that is truely the
case, then I will pull this part off the 1500 parts car that I have and
switch it out.

The fellow also had the good idea to retrofit the 1500 front brake
calipers because they were larger.  Good idea, but it won't work.  Wheel
clearance is not enough and they rub the wheels.

Thanks again for your help!

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO